Mental Health Services
Helping Families and Children
Child Guidance Center provides a variety of evidence-based mental health treatment services, from our flagship Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) program, to transformative therapeutic approaches for addressing the impact of trauma, or significant cognitive or behavioral health challenges, and their impact on children, youth and families. More than 80 percent of the children and parents we assist (through 10 or more visits) achieve significant improvement in their mental health and overall well-being.
Our Specialty Services:
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT) – TF-CBT is a psychotherapy approach for children and adolescents who experience significant emotional and behavioral difficulties related to traumatic events such as death of a parent, physical injury or abuse. With the help of a therapist and their parent, children are able to confront and process the traumatic event, leading to progressive improvement in their emotional well-being. This therapy has resulted in significant reductions of parental stress, helping the entire family to heal.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) – For children who have difficulty concentrating or become easily bored, the center provides a variety of approaches, with or without medication.
- Behavior Management/Social Skills Therapy – This modality focuses on providing children assistance in dealing with social situations, including accurately assessing their environment, recognizing what is expected and knowing appropriate reactions.
- Military Veterans Family Treatment and Support – The demands of military life, combat and transitions back to civilian life can significantly impact veteran and military connected families. Our Strong Families, Strong Children Program addresses the psychological distress of pre-deployment and post deployment, as well as assisting families impacted bu housing insecurities, domestic violence, legal challenges, job security or substance abuse. We ensure military families receive comprehensive, culturally-sensitive mental health and basic needs services.
Parent Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) – Through our longstanding collaboration with the University of California, Davis, CGC is the largest and most experienced Orange County provider of PCIT - a proven effective method for helping parents of young children (ages 2 to 8 yrs)struggling with behavioral health challenges to enhance their relationships through better communication. During the sessions trained therapists observe parent-child interactions and provide real-time support and training to the parent, guiding them through their child's disruptive behaviors. Parents feel supported and empowered as they learn to effectiveky communicate with their child, leading to the diminsihment of unwanted behaviors and increased positive interactions for the child.
- PC CARE - A shortened version of PCIT
Additional services we provide:
- Evaluation and Crisis intervention
- Individual, Family, and Group Therapy
- Medication Consultation and Support
- Play Therapy
- Positive Parenting Training
- Professional Training and Consultations
- School and Medical Professional Consultations
- Social/Behavioral Skills Therapy
Child Guiance Center services are the highest quality and confidential mental health treatment services available. Once your child is assesed, they will be assisgned to a mental health clinician that they will seen weekly (or a time frame that is best for their mental health needs.) Staff members are culturally sensitive and many are bilingual, offering services in multiple languages. For more information about CGC.
If you are a professional interested in making a referral, or you are a family member wanting more information, please call 714-953-4455 adn ask to speak to our Intake Coordinators.